Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Finding the designated amount of water for the experiment.

Yesterday I actually started my research project, I started by just using water that I collected from a park in Saratoga Springs. I ended up using 12 gallons and filled it up with water from the lake on Saturday, I then brought it home to experiment with. Yesterday (Monday) I poured the water through filters and I had a couple of problems. 

Some of the problems I encountered
1. the filter gets clogged really easily
a. the water is filtering down very slowly
b. some ideas to fix this problem is to maximize the area of the filter or use multiple filters for one test
2. someone has to hold the filter otherwise it will fall and get soaked. 
3. pouring is a challenge (it is heavy and slow)
a. some ideas to fix this problem is to come up with a contraption that is able to hold the gallon 
4. by the looks of it A LOT of water is needed to show the 0.5 g difference
5. there were bugs in the water, when I was filtering the water we saw a bunch of moving bugs. One that is disgusting, two it might change the accuracy of the data because bugs aren't algae

Here is the process of what I did on Saturday and Monday.
1. Go to the North end of Utah Lake (Saratoga Springs Park and Pavillion): 40.348860, -111.901880
2. Collect 12 gallons of water
3. Come home and pour different amounts of water into a beaker (or use the entire gallon) then use that and put it through the filter and let it dry
4. Out of these do multiple amounts of water to find out which one shows the 0.5 g change in mass and designate that as the amount of water needed for all samples that are collected 

I actually have not found the designated amount yet, however, I know that it is A LOT of water because when I filtered an entire gallon of water there wasn't even a change in the mass of the filter's weight. So now I am planning on meeting with my AP Environmental Science teacher who is helping me with this project to see how we can solve this problem. 

1 comment: